Friday, July 9, 2010

James v. Jameson

Just to clear up a little confusion about my writer-name: when I first started sending my writing out a few years ago, I decided to use the pseudonym "Maxwell James" as I was phobic about the idea of my own name floating out there in the Spectacle (I was reading a lot of Debord at the time...not recommended for anyone trying to get their act together!). So I started sending all my writing, both literary and speculative, out as "Maxwell James," usually not even bothering to tell people it was a pseudonym, thinking I'd do Thomas Pynchon one better, maybe even approach B. Traven territory.

Things went on like this for a few years, when a few things happened. First, I realized this hiding-behind-a-pseudonym thing was a little silly, and was also extremely difficult to maintain. Secondly, I read I Am Legend by Richard Matheson, and not only did I love Matheson's writing style and its frankness and psychological depth, but I also liked the way his name rolled off the tongue. Third, I realized that I was very interested in writing science fiction as well as literary fiction, and thought is would be a good idea to separate them somehow, mostly because of another writer I like, Iain M. Banks. However, I wanted more than a middle initial to split my two writer-selves, because I really don't understand what the point is with Banks' trip, so I decided to change my pseudonym to "Maxwell Jameson." Finally, I came to the conclusion that my real name, while I have no issues with it, is simply not very memorable. I'm not sure what form of it I will use for my literary endeavors, but I plan on writing scifi as Maxwell Jameson for the forseeable future.

One more thing: a friend of mine just pointed out that "Maxwell Jameson" can be taken to mean "Coffee Whiskey." Which I did not intend, but which I think is awesome.

So that's my story, in case you were wondering. Which you probably weren't. But that's ok.

1 comment:

  1. Names do not make the legends the words that come from them do, but I write under a pseudonym due to the fact that I wish to be selective as to who I give my name to because I don't want it used by some anonymous individual out to do my reputation harm. It is also dangerous to use a real name for this reason.
    A man on our poet list left a kind of inflammatory remark on one of my articles so I checked him out. within two minutes I had his address and criminal record...turned out he was a twice convicted child molester.
    If I can get all that... whats to say he or someone like him could not target my kids? Take care!

    ReplyDelete